Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I'm Gonna . . . Poke You!

That's right. I am going to become a professional puncturer.

I have to admit that I am somewhat dissapionted. I discovered a fascination within myself while working at the blood bank. I like blood. It really is neat stuff! I studied. I learned not only that there is an anticoagulant/preservative solution in the blood bags, but I searched to find out just what it is. I read technical manuals, and books on immunohematology, genetics, and blood group systems. I figured out what I want to be when I grow up!
Now that I am unemployed, I have the opportunity to take advantage of a training program. This means that I qualify to be re-trained, and gain new job skills so that I will be more marketable in my job search. Ultimately I want to become a Clinical Laboratory Scientist. But, that is four years of FULL TIME study. With three small kids, a house, and having to work -- I just don't think I need to bite that chunk off. It's more that I can chew. And there is no way EDD is going to put me through four years of school. So, I looked a bit down the ladder. Medical Laboratory Technician. Yes. I like that one! I look on the website for lists of approved schools (you know, since it is funded by the federal government it has to be approved). I found several schools of interest. Far, far away from my house. I have heard that it is hard to get into these programs, and that it is hard, if not impossible to find one any where around here. What a bummer.
What I can do, however, is learn to be a phlebotomist (which I would have to do regardless) and start out as an assistant. Lots of places will help you go back to school after you have worked there for a certain period of time. So, off to phlebotomy school I go.
As for the business of poking people and draining their blood out of their bodies - well, I really hope that I can do this. I pass out when I donate blood. No joke. You just start feeling all woosy, and gross, and dizzy and then all the sudden you feel fine, and you're out. I'm OK, when they just have to take a few tubes out, but hold on when I've got to do a whole pint! And I think I can inflict this kind of trauma on other people? Can I? Maybe. My kids tell me all the time that I am mean....I suppose I am going to have to pull that out and put it to good use.
Pray for me. Really. I am nervous about this. I practically grew up at the blood bank. It was not the best all the time, but it was my little nest. It was familiar to me. I know the in's and out's. I know where stuff is, I know how to get around the building. And for me, getting around the building is a big deal. You have no idea how often I get lost. It took me a few years to learn the two buildings at the blood bank. It is going to take me a decade at a hospital to learn where the bathrooms are.
Thank God, that I can run to Him. I would probably drive every one around me crazy if I didn't!

I'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

idida martinez said...

thank God. i'll be praying for you that everything turns out as planned and as God says. i know that you are able to do whatever it takes for you to get there. just one step at a time. :]