Today I *actually* started my phlebotomy course. First I went in on the wrong day, due to an error made NOT by me, and then the class was postponed a week so that the instructor could recover from a cold. That didn't bother me one bit. I don't want a cold. Or anything else thank you. And today I drove over, hopped out of the car, climbed three flights of stairs (I don't like elevators) and went in to find that there was class today! Yay.........I think.
I was given a book. It is 8 inches across, 10 inches long, and 3/4 of an inch tall. I know, I measured it. And from what I can tell I will have to memorize this book in it's entirety in twelve days. One of which is gone. Unfortunately I can not fit the book into either one of my rather large sized ears, so study it is for me.
Fortunately the class is rather small. Now, do not underestimate human nature. Even in a class of only six people, there seems to be some.......personality. At least I figured out by the end of the class that our group is comprised of only females. And, I have to admit, there is one lady, and there is nothing wrong with her, she seems pretty nice and all, but when she talks.........it's just like fingernails on a chalkboard. However, to her credit, she is no chatterbox. The instructor is very nice, and very down to earth. She also talks in fairly plain english and thankfully is not given to talking 'technical'.
Now, I've got to memorize what tubes are used, and in what order, and what department they should go to, and what all these little abbreviations mean. My blood bank experience is coming in handy. I did well on today's quiz, but that is because it covered a lot of things that I already learned while working at the blood bank. I got very familiar with safety procedures, and there are universal standards that all facilities should follow, so that was a breeze. Tomorrow is anatomy. I should probably study that before class, because beyond the basic external parts of the body, I get lost.
I'll let you know how it goes. Provided I can pick myself up off of the floor once this thing is over..........
No comments:
Post a Comment