Thursday, March 3, 2011

Me

I have a big mouth. Sometimes I say too much, and other times I don't say what I should. I get bad breath, at the very least every morning when I wake up. I sweat and produce saliva and any number of other gross bodily fluids that I won't mention here. My feet stink. I get lint in my belly button, and dirt under my fingernails. I have bad hair days quite often, actually, more often than not. And my hair falls out. I get deoderant on my shirts when I put them on, but hey, at least I use it. I have big ears, and I've got ear wax too. I get zits. I like to cook and sometimes I think that I am quite the cheff and get all out of control in the kitchen thinking that I am going to produce some culinary masterpiece, and end up with something that isn't even edible. I drink too much soda, and can't function without my coffee in the morning. I don't like the dark, and still leave the light on - and I am 27 years old. I fall apart when my kids are sick. I am no good at math, and probably not half as good as I think I am at all the rest. I laugh when I shouldn't and cry when I don't want to.

I am human.

The packaging is flawed, and right about now, the heart is broken. If you want me, you'll have to deal with broken pieces, because this is all I've got. I know things that I wish I never had to know. And sometimes I act kind of wierd because things are just wierd.

Sometimes you don't come out of the fire standing up, or even in one piece. Sometimes maybe you have to be broken. And sometimes we look at other people, and can't understand why they act the way they do. Maybe I won't be so quick to judge others when their behavior isn't what I think it should be, who knows what they are dealing with underneath all of the 'I am doing just fine, thanks.' I understand broken pieces.
And really, I am debating right now about clicking that Publish Post button. Why post this? Maybe I will regret it later?

There is so much pressure to be perfect. Seems like we are bombarded with images of 'perfect' people. People who are terribly thin, with perfect teeth, and perfect complexions, and perfect toenails. And now, if you don't have the perfect ears, or perfect waist, or perfect nose, or this or that - it is all just an operation away. We are also supposed to have it all, the white picket fence house, and the executive job, and the car, and the boat, and the RV, and maybe even the swimming pool. And when ever someone asks the casual "How are you doing?" we are supposed to say something along the lines of "Doing just GREAT!!!" Somehow it doesn't seem OK to say "Not that great today." or "Been better." or even "I don't even know how I got out of bed this morning."
So, just in case there are some other not quite 'perfect' people out there -- take comfort in the fact that you are not all by yourself. There's me too. I am going to go on with my big ears, and even bigger mouth, my flawed human packaging, and the pieces of my heart that I need God to put back together. Who knows? Maybe I will come out better than before?


4 comments:

sarrah d said...

Amazing post. I needed this today. Made me drop some overwhelmed pregnant tears of comfort lol. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Love how you're so transparent. Needed to know someone else is like me. Hope that doesn't scare you! lol Thank God, God doesn't expect perfection out of us, just trying. Bev

Jana McVay said...

As I read your post I felt your pain and struggle with the brokenness you are feeling right now. I have been wanting to write a song or post about the hidden reality behind people's "I am doing fine" smile. Perhaps God is readying me for this as I experience brokenness in myself.

I love a song that I found by IBC. We will be singing it soon and I thought I would share the chorus lyrics and link for the whole song.

Chorus: Lord I am broken, my life is in pieces but your strength is perfect in all of my weakness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSUu3H3rFQQ&feature=related

May this song bring you a healing balm of peace from our Father who is aware of our brokenness!! I love you Thresa and would take your pain if I could! Praying for you and your family today...just keep holding to God's unchanging hand and you WILL find yourself healed and put back together, better than before!

HG said...

Wow - this is deep! I love you Thresa, and you have incredible writing skillz. I miss you terribly, you're always in my thoughts & prayers.

Hugs,
HG