Monday, July 9, 2012

In the NeighborHOOD

I have not always lived in the city I do. But I have lived here most of my life.

I always tell people that I would never move into my town, but hey, I am used to it, I pretty much grew up here. I can't really see how ugly it is. So I stay.

I don't live in a fancy, big ol' huge house. It's us, and our two used cars, in our 50+ year old house, and a bunch of neighbors with pretty much the same stuff. There's no rules on when you have to cut your lawn, and what colors you can paint your house. There's no gate to let some of the people in, and keep the rest of 'em out. Actually, we're only a few blocks away from the cemetary, and the county hospital.

My neighborhood does have a few pluses.
We live on a cul-de-sac street. If someone is driving down our street, you can pretty much guess that they have a reason for driving down here. Like, they live here, or know someone who does. Other than that they are probably delivering the mail or emptying the trash.
We also have an annual yard sale. I don't even know how to describe this. It looks like the swap meet. You literally can't even drive down the street. Most of the time people park down the street and walk. It's pretty cool.
And maybe some of the rest of you have those things. Like cool yard sales, and living on the dead end street so you don't have much traffic. But, I'd be willing to say that none of the rest of you have my kinda neighbors.
One of my neighbors keeps a very watchful eye on the goings on of the street. Yeah, he's a little nosey, and he does have night vision goggles. But, if some foolish and unfortunate individual tries to mess with my house, my kids, or my stuff I'd be willing to say that 'Ribbon' (as my kids call him) will be all over them like white on rice. We also have Mr. No Shirt. He can't work due to a back injury. And, if Mr. No Shirt spies you driving up to my house when my husband or I are not home, guess what? Mr. No Shirt will be taking your license plate number.
I don't live in the nicest neighborhood ever. There's no security gate. There's no speed bumps. But, I got people.

No comments: