Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Thievery and Dental Hygiene

My son is teething. He is, quite possibly the worst teether out there. Now, he’s getting the two year molars, and we’ve just begun. The little white nubs have yet to be seen, but they are there. I know it. What else could have turned my son into a slobbering, whining, chew happy monster? It is the nubs.

Hold on – my adorable little nub-less monster is bringing me diaper supplies, holding his tush and yelling “Boo!” This is what he does when he has soiled his diaper. Boo, being his version of Poo. He can not stand to have ‘boo’ in his pants. No way. And when I explain this fact to the curious, I get the inevitable response “Well, he’s ready for potty training then!” Yes, it is possible that my son is ready for potty training – the question is – am I ready for potty training? Again.

Back to the teether A.K.A. ‘Slimer’. On top of being a whiny, slobbering mess (wait, did I already say that?) he is also a thief. His kleptomaniacal tendencies are limited to one item specifically. He steals toothbrushes. He recently ‘procured’ one of mine, and seeing that it had been thoroughly slimed I relinquished it for his chewing pleasure. It bought me an entire grocery store trip, no incidents. Quite worth it.

Apparently, one is not enough. They are simply too hard to keep track of. Have you ever tried to find a toothbrush in a toy box? If not, let me tell you that this expression is the next “needle in the haystack.” This does not trouble our little ‘Slimer’ one bit, because he knows, that if he looses his current chew toy, there are always a few available in the very same spot. In stealth, under the cover of, um, broad daylight, he creeps into the bathroom and raids the ‘stash’.


Once you spot him, happily chomping on his newest acquisition, it is too late. The toothbrush, previously used for your dental hygiene is thoroughly marinated. The only thing worse than that, is when he puts them back, after all his chomping needs are met, and you unknowingly try to attain ‘minty fresh breath’ after your toothbrush has been ‘slimed’.

No comments: