Sunday, April 3, 2011

Everybody Ought to go to Sunday School!

For those who don't know, I teach Sunday School for the three and four year old class. We usually run about 15 to 20 kids, sometimes more. And while I can't always say that it is easy, and sometimes it wears me out - I love it. It gets very interesting from time to time. Well, probably every Sunday to be honest. What's not going to happen when you have well over a dozen three to four year olds in a borrowed room (we use one of the church school rooms - so there is lots of 'off limits' stuff)? It is my dream to someday have a room of our own, with a restroom. That would be so very wonderful. But, that's not the case right now, so we make the best of what we have.
We have a snack every Sunday, and last Sunday one of the little boys in the class brought some mini cupcakes to share for snack. Too cute! Now, you know we are in a borrowed room, but if you haven't seen it you may not realize that it's not very big, and there is not room enough for tables to accomodate all of the children that attend. Rather than using the table, we pull all of the chairs out that we can get our hands on and put them in a big 'U' shape. The chairs transform every Sunday. They are chairs for sitting,  and when you sit on your bottom on the floor they become tables for coloring and doing crafts, and they are tables for eating wonderful Sunday School snacks! I know, it's a little confusing, but like I said, we make the best of what we have.
So, we finally get on to the best part of Sunday School - snack. Myself and the other teachers are working on pouring juice, and handing out the snack. It gets very busy. Just when we think every child has gotten their snack a small voice says "Excuse me Teacher, I didn't get a cupcake." (Yes, that is the way this three year old little boy talks!) I look over, and lo and behold, the empty handed little boy is the very one who brought the cupcakes in the first place. I look at him and very calmly tell him, "Yes Johnny*, you did get a cupcake - you're sitting on it." He stands up, and much to the amusement of the other three and four year old boys around him, he has a minerature cupcake stuck to his bottom! We get that all cleaned up, and give him a new cupcake. All is well. Or so I thought. Not 30 seconds after getting his new cupcake I notice little Johnny is enjoying his cupcake, paper and all. I assumed that he could not get the wrapper off, or simply didn't notice it, and tell him "Johnny you are supposed to take the paper off before you eat it! Here, let me help you." And he says "Oh no Teacher, I like to eat paper, it is soooo good!"


*For this post, the names have beeen changed to protect the innocent. The parents of the child that is.

2 comments:

Pierce Household said...

That is hilarious! Thanks for sharing. Yes, little *johnny* is something else :) You are doing an awesome job in Sunday School...the kids love it!

HG said...

As I've said before... YOU are an incredible writer! Keep the kid stories coming - I love them!

Oh - and you're beautiful, as is your family. LOVE the pictures Sis. Laura posted of your gorgeous kiddos. They are all growing UP - hardly even recognized them.

It's a joy to know you, but I really really really miss you. Thanks for the beautiful pictures and the wonderful blog posts. You're very talented, keep it up!

Love you,
HG