Most of you know that I am out of the unemployment office, and back into the lovely California workforce! Umm... Yay! I think.
Let me give you a little (probably somewhat distorted) view of my history, and typical duties are --
So, I think I am probably like, maybe the only person that has not one, or two, but THREE hire dates with the blood bank. Yeah, three anniversaries for me! 8 1/2 years on my first one, Almost 5 years on my second one, and going on 7 months for my third. This should totally be like having three birthdays a year - except I only get older once. Makes sense right?
So what do I do in a day? Hmmm...... Deliver blood on 7 routes in four different counties, anywhere from zero to eight or nine mobiles draw sites a day, 4 distribution centers, 5 donor centers, somewhere around 50 vehicles, 8 buses, and 5 box trucks. And lets not forget 'The Guys' 13 mobile drivers, and at least a handful of distribution drivers. And, am I anyone's boss? NO! But they still have to do what I tell them! HA! Yeah, that's not all it's cracked up to be.
I am the bearer of bad news. The schedule changer, the DAYWRECKER. I receive the information, mangle the driver's schedule into an unrecognizeable, uumm thing, and then I grab the white folder and begin the hunt. It's not always easy to find them you know. I think they hide. Actually, I know they do. But, pleeease folks, I don't want anyone using the excuse that the schedule changed, and they didn't know it. We are basically at the mercies of our mobile draw sites. They say come at 8am, we schedule for 8am. If they change their mind and say come at 4pm, then we change the schedule for 4pm. And then if they say, well maybe you should come at 11am, then, guess what? We CHANGE the schedule for 11am. It's the nature of the business here, and we have to just deal with it. So, in the seven months that I have been doing this, I honestly can't think of one week that hasn't changed. Really, I can't. And the drivers know what's up when I come out toting the white folder. The DAYWRECKER is on the job. Dinner plans? Forget it. Nap time? HA. Shopping with the Wife? Yeah, you can thank me for getting you out of that! Mani/pedi appointment? Ok, so I don't think any of our guys would have to worry about that, but that's about the only thing I haven't heard yet.
Car needs an oil change? Gotta flat tire? The turbo in your bus isn't turboing? Your A/C doesn't work. Your generator doesn't generate. Is your check engine light on? Did you put regular unleaded in a diesel fuel only vehicle? Is your gas gauge broken, but really you just ran out of gas and don't want to admit it? Need a ride to the airport? Want to get a box somewhere? Need a vehicle for tomorrow? License, registration, and insurance please. Are you lost? Did you back up your bus and knock a pole over? Got an error message in your car - what do you do? Leave that thing out in Palm Springs! And who you gonna call? Dispatch. That's me, and thankfully one other girl. I don't know what we would do without eachother!
And then there's the blood. The temperatures - storage and transport temperatures, and processing and supply room temperatures. The times - pack times, delivery schedules, stat times, cut off times, time sensitive products, specimen pick ups. Shipping, and what and how - shipping container capacities, autologus and direct, CMV negative and leuko reduced, and antigen negative, irradiated, washed, divided. And don't forget the equipment! The rotators had better be rotating, and the Bac-T better not go off, thermometers have to be calibrated, and if you only take one of something it's almost garunteed to break. Sometimes you buy, and sometimes you sell, and you have to make your shipment to the airport on time for the flight - so your testing will get done.
And I suppose that's the most of it, in a nutshell!
2 comments:
Wow. What a job, makes coming home to three little ones seem like a breeze. lol
YOU are an incredible writer!
Love reading your posts.
Miss you terribly.
Hugs,
HG
Post a Comment