Dexter is finally starting to earn his keep around here. After all of the potty training and trash training, and not running around the neighborhood training, and training, I have to say that the pooch has turned out to be a great dog. There's lots of things that I love about him.
He's sort of my side kick. Like Batman and Robin, Fred and Barney, or the Lone Ranger and Tonto. Where I go, Dexter goes. Where I clean, Dexter cleans. When I yell, Dexter yells.
Let me explain;
- Dexter has been nick named 'The Janitor'. Have you ever heard the phrase - the floors are so clean you could eat off of them? Dexter is ovbiously a believer. After dinner, we let Dexter into the dining room and he cleans the floor right up. If you drop something Dexter makes sure that you don't have to go to the trouble of bending over to pick it up.
- There's lots of stray cats in my neighborhood. And I don't want them in my backyard having their babies, and making their messes. So, I tell Dexter 'Go get the cat!' And he tears off outside shrieking and runs his route. Sometimes he will run right past the cat, but at least that prompts the intruder to make a quick exit. There's one cat that I have to admire. It's a big grey cat. He will go and lay on top of the block wall in the back, and while Dexter is barking and jumping up at him, he will lay there on the wall and lazily swat his paw at Dexter. That cat could whoop Dexter with one lick, but I think he likes playing with him.
- If the kids are misbehaving, and I have to raise my voice, even a little, Dexter has to raise his voice too. Sometimes, I have to send him outside to look for a 'cat' and lock his little doggy door so I can scold the kids without Dexter interrupting me.
- He protects me. He takes up post in the doorway of the room that I am in. That way, anybody that wants to come in the room with me has to pass him first.
- I don't really need a door bell anymore.
- And of course if the kids start fussing, Dexter serves as a notification system. Remember, if anyone has to raise their voice, then Dexter has to raise his voice too.
No comments:
Post a Comment